Vacancy title: Rufumbira Editor
Duty Station: Kisoro/ Kampala, Uganda
Yampe Ltd is looking to recruit a dynamic, self-motivated individual to ﬁll the role of Rufumbira Editor
Job title: Rufumbira Editor
Description of Purpose: Edit stories that meet the highest journalistic standards satisfy audience and advertiser expectations and strengthen the Yampe Ltd
Key Result Areas
- Ensure that copy is clear, simple and easy to read and comprehensible and written in Standard Rufumbira.
- Edit stories to suit the newspaper’s house-style and editorial policy so as to ensure the paper is respected and credible.
- Ensures that copy is free of libel and inaccuracies and structured in a logical, coherent manner which appeals to readers & attracts advertisers
- Re-write, restructure and re-angle stories, where necessary, in consultation with writers and supervisors so as to make them compelling, readable, understandable and enjoyable
- Exercise innovation and initiative and a high sense of news so as to be able to rank stories in terms of importance on the page, and determine the appropriate photos, graphics and other illustrations.
- Peer review, proof read and double check own and fellow editors’ pages to eliminate typos, general errors, content that may be in bad taste and ensure the headlines best reﬂect the articles and that photos and other illustrations are both appropriate and rightly placed.
- Manage deadlines by ensuring that pages-both at individual and section level are produced and delivered to Prepress in time and in the best quality.
- Coach and interact with reporters to give them feedback on their stories in order to minimize mistakes and help them write print-ready stories
- Liaise with the designers, team leaders, to generate and provide pictures and graphics which best illustrate stories
- Review the paper monthly to identify and correct errors if any
Qualiﬁcations and experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree preferably in English Language or Literature in English.
- Proven experience in writing Rufumbira for a minimum of two years.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work a ﬂexible schedule.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
Job application procedure
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit applications and CVs by email or hand delivery to:
ABC Africa Newspaper
P.O. Box 88, Kampala- Uganda.
Kamwokya Kiira Road,
KCCA Flats Block A, 1st Floor
Subject: Rufumbira Editor
Deadline for application is: 8th September 2017.